Saturday, February 25, 2023

Stories of Kindness: Heaven F.

An Unexpected Blessing

It was sometime in December of 2022 when an act of kindness appeared right in front of a door. One Sunday, it was a little after 3 P.M. when I was walking home from work. My feet were hurting; I was sweaty and ready to collapse onto my bed with a book. When I walked into the apartment complex my family lives in, I had no idea there'd be something waiting for me on the other side of the door. As I entered the building, my eyes glanced down at the ground, and I saw a large peppermint-striped box in front of our door. Immediately I thought, "Ah, mom must've ordered something, and she didn't realize the delivery guy had come." However, as I inched closer and eventually made it to the door, I saw that the box had my name on it. Even though it was Christmastime, I wasn't expecting to receive any gifts, so seeing the package was a mighty surprise, and to this day, I'm still appreciative of it.


You may wonder why. Sure, it's normal to receive gifts during that time of the year. However, it was my friend's thoughtfulness. She went out of her way to get me things she knew I'd like and to include a handwritten note. The fact that I was even on her mind. You see, throughout 2022, I battled with loneliness and the idea that no one cared about me. I spiraled numerous times, but the Lord always somehow knew how to pick me up and show me that the people in my life were the ones who, indeed, wanted to stick around. And receiving this gift was another confirmation that she cared. It wasn't the gift that mattered, but her going out of her way to bless me and show love. That's what genuine kindness is.


-Heaven


Kindness is contagious!

No comments:

Post a Comment